Friday, December 21, 2012

albums to adore, 2012 nostalgia edition.

Last year when I was writing up my Top Ten Albums list I realized, as I always realize, that I tend to listen to a lot more of my back catalogue than anything new. Which isn't to say that I don't love new music, because I do. But sometimes it takes longer than a year for a song to get under my skin, and sometimes the only thing you want to hear is the song that made you feel better when you were fifteen years old. So here's this year's secondary Top Ten, of the bands and songs I listened to most.

Bruce Springsteen. No explanation required.



Nicole Atkins. I've had her album Neptune City on my playlist since my brother recommended her to me many years ago, and I still go back to it a lot. Jangly, wistful, sing-songy rock and roll, oh hell yes.



The National. Always, forever.



Speaking of The National, this song is one of my alltime favourites. When I first heard it I was living in Ottawa and my brother sent me a link to it and I felt like it was about me. Which is of course all we ever hope for when we hear a song, isn't it.



M. Ward. A balm for the heart.



Fun. Okay, really only this song, and yeah it's overplayed as hell, but shit man, it's a gooder.



Hey Rosetta. This song pretty well makes me burst into tears every time.



Oh also let's talk about how GREAT THEIR CHRISTMAS EP WAS.



Aimee Mann. For long dark nights of the soul, and cranky drives home from work.



The Strokes. Just 'cause.




The Beatles. The second side of Sergeant Pepper, from Lovely Rita to A Day In The Life, was my cottage drive soundtrack this summer, and my lord it was a good one.



That's only nine, by my count, but nine is fine.







No comments:

Post a Comment